Future Mythologies

A Textual Journey with Maxwell Von Bismarck

Monday, January 12, 2004

 
It's a new trend, and I don't think I like it that much.


People writing great songs that are younger than me.


It was okay when it was just Dizzie, because he was inducted into the canon a couple of hours after his album came out. But it's much worse with Rooney. Why? Because they're not that good. I have no desire to hear the album, but the song "Blueside" was a staple on late night Noggin programming, and I have since listened to the song many times. A lot more than I thought I would. If at first it sounds like a bad Beach Boys song, it gets really catchy once you divorce it from the possibility it was influenced by Brian Wilson. The production is great, the pace is perfect, the vocals are exactly like a California Liam Gallagher (not my fave, but a good sound here), and the chorus is so beautifully unlike the verse, but very much like it at the same time. I'm not talking about "Don't Sleep in the Subway" but more a turnaround progression that doesn't totally spin in a circle. The "show you my blue side" sticks out like an incandescent sore thumb.

I'm hoping this will spur on my hopeless laziness. This guy was born a full year and a half after me. Where the fuck have I been?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2003   June 2003   July 2003   August 2003   September 2003   October 2003   November 2003   December 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   August 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   June 2005   September 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?