Future Mythologies

A Textual Journey with Maxwell Von Bismarck

Friday, January 30, 2004

 
I found these questions on Courtney's livejournal. I guess they were meant for me, so I will answer them.

1. so when are you coming to visit anyway?

Ah. I would absolutely love to come visit you in the land of Milwaukee, but I don't have a car or any money to speak of, actually. At this point I can’t really say thought the thought often crosses my mind.

2. what's your favorite christmas song and why?

Despite serious competition, “Fairytale of New York” is the greatest Christmas recording. Some of my other favorites will be covered on my 2004 X-Mas album, so I don’t want to give them away, but I can also tell you that “Little Drummer Boy” by Low is #2.

“Fairytale of New York” is about what Christmas represents. What it brings to mind every year. It’s about the way love develops between two people, about the way we see our lives, about the relationship of the past to the future. It’s a song I play all year round, and one of my most played songs during my difficult 2001 year. It’s also one of Steve Lillywhite’s only great productions, most of his music being tinny and lifeless. I’ll probably go on about “Fairytale of New York” in an upcoming Kirsty MacColl post, if such a thing is desired.

3. who put the bomp in the bomp sh bomp sh bomb?

Well, is "bomp sh" perhaps the vocalized interpretation of the standard 4 to the floor house beat? If so, I'd have to say Roland, for making the wonderful TR-909 rhythm composer that makes us all need to get up and dance when it plays.

No, a 909 kick doesn't go "bomp". That's far too close in approximating an "authentic" kick drum sound, and not enough in getting at the complete artificiality of the rhythm composer (one of its most important aspects).

4. who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

The songwriters.

5. why is schizopolis such a good movie?

Well, it has nothing to do with the breakdown of communication. Nothing to do with the ineffectiveness of language. Nothing to do with Soderbergh as a great director. It's just massively funny in very subtle and nonsubtle ways.

It's the jokes, stupid.



1 - Leave a comment, saying you want to be interviewed.
2 - I will respond; I'll ask you five questions.
3 - You'll update your journal with my five questions, and your five answers.
4 - You'll include this explanation.
5 - You'll ask other people five questions when they want to be interviewed.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2003   June 2003   July 2003   August 2003   September 2003   October 2003   November 2003   December 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   August 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   June 2005   September 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?