Future Mythologies

A Textual Journey with Maxwell Von Bismarck

Monday, July 14, 2003

 
I apologize for the anti-American comment I made in the last blog. And you can tell I meant it, as I did not say "apologise." Lately I've been feeling like I don't want to live here, but there are many things about America and American music that I love. I suppose it's Simon and co. with their hip English music references, but even Simon lives within a couple hundred miles from me. Perhaps someone over in Europe could remind me why I'd rather be here, because I really feel this urge to leave to England and never come back. I need to go get in touch with my Anglo-Saxon roots. Visit somewhere dripping of history. Even living in the oldest city in America, I feel like this whole place popped up a few years before I got here.

I spent most of my teen years filling my head with music, and most of it was what I picked up out of Spin and Rolling Stone, a very biased view of indie rock (Spin's list of 100 Alternative Albums puts Pink Flag highest of all limeys, at #12. Ever since college, I've flipped into the previously unexplored world of British Indie, and I've never looked back. My copy of Let it Be is quite dusty indeed. Perhaps in upcoming entries there will be 100 Reasons why America Rules or 20 Best American Albums. I've got to get a little patriotic here. I really hate to be the kind of guy the right imagines all us lefties to be.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2003   June 2003   July 2003   August 2003   September 2003   October 2003   November 2003   December 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   August 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   June 2005   September 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?